Tuesday, April 01, 2008

UNDEFEATED!

Yep...........I'm gonna hang up my racin' shoes for the year. After my "victory" @ the Fisk Knob Time Trial this weekend I figure that this is the only way I'll EVER have a chance to go through the whole season w//out a loss. Given my general level of competitiveness...which ranges from "Barely adequate" to 'What's HE doing out there?"...it takes some pretty special circumstances to get me across the line first. One thing that works about once a season out @ Grattan is a bunch sprint and some dude thinking to himself that the chubby old dude on his wheel can't be a factor, can he? (And who could blame him for thinking that, after all?) Still.....about once a year I time it right and get to the line just ahead of the rest of the field...and the reappearance of my lunch.

The other way is to implement the plan that I employed this past weekend........namely to be the only entrant in my (or in this case...our) catagory. New Stoker Mike Luepke and I smoked the rest of our competition to win the tandem class on Sunday. Okay......so 44 of the other 175 racers had better times than we did......they weren't in our class so we win! And I got the hardware to prove it!

The day was a blast and the "Velo City Effect" was in full evidence. I counted 16 riders from the general V.C.C. / M.C.C. sphere of influence and that's what it's all about, y'know?

Alas......I had to skip my favorite part of racing - namely the hanging around afterwards shootin' the shit part - and hop in the van and hook up w/ 4 JDRF homies and dash for Midland for a meet-n-greet /w some of our new Team Mates up that-a-way. Nothing like riding hard for 48 minutes and then gettin' into the back of a van for hours of driving to promote recovery! Actually....come to think of it that IS like "nothing" you wanna do!

Otherwise things are cool @ Ye Olde Coole Bike Shoppe....Spring is for sure right 'round the next bend and folks are excited about riding. We have a coupla new Velo-Citizens, the outdoor rides are startin' up soon, the Indoor Rides are over and I have a coupla new bikes to play with. That's always fun! I'm riding an actual road tandem on the road these days as opposed to my trusty-but-mutt-like converted Burley off-roader. The new Cannondale enjoys the same undefeated status that I am currently wallowing in.....but it's more likely to retain it! Man does that thing feel fast! I'll also be racin' on the road on a gaudy new C-Dale Six /13 frameset for the summer and that means one thing...............my Seven is gonna be my fixxie for the year! Hee Hee! How over the top is that?!

Anyway..lotsa stuff coming up, cool rides, more races, a trip out to The Promised Land* for Mrs' Clark's favorite son next month..........I can't wait!

Time to ride!
MC

* Moab and Fruita 'natch!

No comments: