Friday, April 18, 2008

"Life is so Sweet..........

....it makes you bounce as you walk down the street." (Billy Joe Shaver)

So...it's 3:30 inthe morning and I'm here @ the shop. What's so sweet about that, you ask? (Damn good question there Bubba......glad to see that you're payin' attention) Well.......it's Friday and I've had 4 great rides already this week and am looking forward to 3 more, the shop's been buzzin' as folks get used to the idea that Spring is finally here to stay, I've decided that my M.B.W. Sofa King is the best looking bike in the world, I have a new C-Dale Six/13 to race on (assuming I get the dang thing together!), I'll be in Moab 3 weeks from now, last I checked I'm still sharin' my life w/ the Lovely and Irreplaceable Miss Linda and...........I have some Form.

"Form". Hard to define, even harder to get. It's the word that pro racers use to describe the fact that they have achieved their fitness goals and that they are ready to kick some ass and take some names. Now......DO NOT get the idea that I'm suffering from the delusion that I have anything near that kinda form!!!!! I never have and I never will. But.........."Form" is different for every individual. Me having "form" is feeling like I can keep up w/ my riding buds - most of whom are younger 'n me - and that I can ride my fixxie and hang in (okay...and maybe even take a sprint now and again). As my buddy Maynard once wrote "Hey, guys like me call that fitness!"

Sean Yates, the big Brit that rode w/ the "Slurpies"* and the Motorola teams in the late '80s and early "90s called it "Stompin' Form" and usta say that he had it mebbe twice a season. That meant that he felt he could ride for the win those 2-3 races a year. Me? I settle for "Shaving Form", that point where it seems like shaving my legs doesn't seem like a silly affectation...that I have reached the point in my season where I feel enough like a roadie that I can "dress the part", y'know? When I got home from my second ride of the day on Wed, a hilly 46 miler w/ Surly, Doez, CD and Gid.......I scraped a winter's worth of hair offa my beat up old legs.

Shaving Form. Ahhhhh.

Other than that......not much to report. One dissonate note is that Jeff's moving on. Back to the restaurant world from which we stole him away. A drag, but he's gonna be happier (probably) and that's always good. That makes me 0 for 2 on the Cruise Director front but we'll keep on keepin' on and we'll get 'er done. (You have 'til 5/3 to stop by and see him here, after that better make reservations @ Boat Werks. (Maybe he can help them w/ their spelling!)

So............join us for a ride. (Tues Night, Thur Morn, Fri Morn, Sat Morn) or the next Fun-Raiser (Pineapple Bob on 4/27) or just swing by and say "Howdy". It'd be great to see you, y'know?

'Til then.............................here's one of my favorite "He wasn't talkin about cycling but he coulda been" song lyrics, courtesy of my all time #1 favorite songwriter:

"Now days I got me two good wheels
and I take refuge in aluminum and steel.
Takes me out there for a little while and the years fall away with every mile."

(Steve Earle - The Other Kind)

2 comments:

John said...

You wax so eloquently early in the morning! Maybe you should wax your legs too? To be faster? Just replying to your blog Mike. J2

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.