Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Interbike Report, Day 2

In what has become the theme of this trip I was up before dawn again today, just so I could break fast, brave the madness that is 5:30am Vegas traffic on the 30 minute hike down to the Expoi Center, meet fav pro racer Danielle and get on the shuttle bus for the so-called "Hangover Ride" from the Outdoor Demo. (A.K.A. the "Tour of Lake Mead") I had secured the use of a coupla C-Dale SuperSixes for the 26 mile ride. (A bike that has the oh-so-rare distinction of being the only one I rode to a victory this season!) We grabbed 'em, fitted them up and joined about 300 other bike shop dudes, pros, hangers-on and various other types for a jaunt from Boulder City down to a bee-yoo-ti-ful lookout on Lake Mead, about 13 miles away. It was not lost on your reporter that it was pretty much 100% downhill all the way there........and despite the bikes's 15 pound weight and oh-so-still BB I was still hurtin' coming back up. My legs were fried from yesterday and I just wateched as Danielle rolled away, jabbering all the way about how it'd been forever since she was on a real road bike. (She raced tour of Lelanau on her 'crosser!)

Once I was f-i-n-a-l-l-y back @ Bootleg Canyou we did some more riding. First up was a Co-Motion Periscope tandem. We sell a goodly number of these way-cool bikes and they're claim to fame is the super-adjustable fit......one bike fits kids, adults and everyone in between. I figured than D's 35" inseam would be a true test of that but she fit right on. We hammered it a bit, got outta the saddle for the climb back up to the venue.....it feels as solid as a "normal" design w'/ a lateral tube.

Next up was my fav ride of the whole Demo..........a Spot single speed w/ a belt drive. It did'nt take long to remind myself how much I like a simple steel frame and the simpicity of 1 speed, y'know? The belt drive is light, efficient, durable and quiet.....at least that's what Spot claims......and they seem like nice folks. Since the last time I paid any attention to them they've moved from Vancover to Golden Colo., introduced some complete bikes @ sweet price points and even ventured into some bikes w/ derailluers (!) but only one...........they have a 1x9 29'r and a 'cross bike. The bike I rode was a 29'r and it was the only one Ive ridden besides Niner where you kinda forget about the big wheels. Sweet sweet sweet.

Then we hit the Salsa booth.............Danielle's lookin' for a new ride and wanted to ride their full-sus El Santo. Turns out they didn't have her size but by then I had picked out a Dos Niner to ride. I liked it more than I ever did when I rode our demo Dos last summer. Not sure if that was the trail sout here or the fact that I have a lot more time on a 29'r now.

I think that's it...........if I missed on eit must not have made much of an impression! I changed outta my lycra, walked around, took some pics (which'll be up as soon as I get home) and called it a day. Tomorrow is the first day of the actual expo and the Cross Vegas race in the evening. Can't wait!

Gotta go............and I may well be unable to get online 'til I get home Friday. Stay tuned!

No comments: