Monday, September 24, 2007

Interbike Report, Day 1

Okay, first lemme state for the record that I've been here in this Hellhole called Las Vegas for about 30 hours now.................and that's enough! i really don't like town at all and if it wasn't for the bike show and the JDRF Death Valley ride this dump would never again see the like of Mrs; Clark's favorite son!



Still...............here I am, and here I stay, 'til early Friday morning at least.



I came here fresh offa doin' the tech support in Whitefish MT for a JDRF Ride to Cure Ride. Brother Berger from the shop and I flew out on Wed, re-assembled about 65 shipped bikes, tuned up the other 85 or so, drove sag on Sat and packed 'em back up that night. Worked our asses off! Still...........what a great thin gto spend some time in the presence of the extra-fine folks that make up a JDRF Ride! Everyone rocks! The riders, the staff, the volunteers.................200-some passionate, dedicated, fun people doing a great thing. I love it!



jeff from the shop along w/ his buds Chuck and Joel comprised the West Mich team..they had a blast too!



Anyway....................the title of this here post is "Interbike Report", not "Ad for JDRF" so lemme get to it:



Today was Day 1 of the Outdoor Demo, which happens about 25 minutes outta Vegas @ a place called Boulder City. A small city of Pop-up tents and trailers pops up for 2 days of test riding bikes on the gnarly singletrack and the smooth asphalt. I rode the new Cannondale Scapel.......it gets a new rear end w/ 4 inches of travel w/ almost no pivots. I dug it..............smooth, climbed well, the sus did it's thing w/ minimal fuss. (Can you tell that I'm not really a big full-sus guy?) Still...what a great michigan bike! Plenty o' travel for our trails, still light enough to race.



Next bike was a new brand.............Pivot is thebrainchild of the guy that ran Titus forever. They have 2 frames, a 4 and a 5.5 inch travel dualie. I took the 4 incher for a run on Trail #4. (4 is the longest and most technical of the trails out there. I figger I oughta ride 'em all on the same trail, yes?) 'Nother nice bike...........but more "suspension-y" than the C-Dale and I was lukewarm on that. The same company that is bankrolling Pivot also plans to import BH from Spain, in an obvious attempt to be the next Orbea. I rode a fancy carbon one, it felt like a high-end carbon bike but hardly broke new ground.



I found myself @ the Salsa booth talkin' to homeboy Joe and the next thing I know I'm out on the trail on a Mamacita, their Scadium/carbon 29er. nIce rig and I was diggin' the hardtail but it didn't fit all that good and had the widest bars I have ever seen and that was messin' w/ my head. Still............we'd be all over Salsa if we hadn't found Niner, and we still may be someday!



I had to go by the niner booth 4 times to get a ride on their full-sus R.I.P-9. Obviously I'm fairly comfy w/their hardtails but the RIP was on my list. (Besides......I know I'd catch tons of crap from Ted if I didn't ride it) Despite my well-documented ambivilance for both 29-rs and full-sus...............this bike was a blast! The rear suspension wasn't so obvious, despite it's 4.5 inches of boiiing and it kinda rocked! They have a new one for '08, the J.E.T, and it'll be a better Michigan bike w/ 3' of travel and a pound less frame weight.

By this point my legs were feelin' the effects of 5 days of wrenchin' w/out riding in MT and 4 loops of the 4 mile Trail 4. I walked the Expo for a bit, ran into the guys from Loose Spokes in GH, Bob from The Bicycle Shop in Gaylord, Chris Kegel (Fellow JDRF guy) from Wheel adn Sprocket in Wis, etc. Then I figured "Well.I camout here to ride so ...." I grabbed a bike from the Mavic tent to try their fly new RXS wheels. prett swank......hollow carbon spokes on the front and left side of the rear, 1400 grams and dollars. They spun up super fast and were laterally stiffer than the Rolf Elans I currently run............ but those are 100 grams lighter and 400 bux less and stiff enough for my Wide load arse so I dunno. Sweet though.

That was it for me. I ditched the lycra and climbed on the shuttle. 8 hours out in the desert sun and wind and dust done did me in. There's an early morning road ride out to Lake mead that Danielle and I are gonna do, then I'll hang @ the Demo for a bit. I'll get some pictures for ya'll.

Time to finish the hike to my hotel and ditch this trashy tee shirt shop / 'internet cafe"!

Later, MC

No comments: