Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Ouch!

So.....started 'cross training in earnest this morning. In this context "cross training" has a dual meaning - it involves other-than-bike stuff and it's designed to get me ready for cyclo-cross. Thus.........'cross training.

Basically for this chubby old dude it means haulin' my bulk up and down that flight of 170 stairs in Sanctuary Woods on 66th. It's about a 25 minute ride from home, then I jump off of "Ugly", my fixxie commuter and jog to the stairs, run up, try and run the 1 mile loop of trail @ the top of the dune and run back to my bike. It's not a pretty sight. I was somewhat pleasantly surprised to find myself @ the top w/out stopping (I had my head down counting steps) but I wasn't able to run the entire loop up top. My left Achilles tightened up in the way back up the the top and I got kinda freaked, despite the fact that my right one ruptured w/out any warning almost 6 years ago so I ran down the staris to Ugly and cooled down by riding home.

Assuming that my body holds up - and there's no real reason for optimisim in that regard - I'd like to add a little running into the mix. I have a lot of bike-less travel coming up (Whitefish and the bike show) and I always envy runners since all they gotta do is bring shoes and shorts. I'm gonna try but like I said.............no reason to count on it.

ODRAM this Saturday and a JDRF ride on Sunday so I oughta get my mileage back up to where it belongs easy enough. Assuming that my Sofa King gets back from MT in time I plan on using it Saturday - I think I can do 156 miles fixed but there's only one way to find out, y'know?

Back to MT on Wed, this time to work as part of the 'Route Crew" which means everything from shoping for bananas to marking the roads to pickin' up trash afterwards. Should be interesting. It'll be good to see everyone again...I miss 'em already!

Ride and Rock on!
MC

No comments: