Monday, September 21, 2009

INTERBIKE SHOW REPORT - DAY ONE

Okay, so Berger and I got up early so we could stand in line for breakfast, stand in line for our show badges, stand in line for the bus to the Outdoor Demo, stand in line to drop our extra junk @ the bag check and then........f.-i-n-a-l-l-y ride some bikes! And ride we did! I love the tight, dusty, rocky and steep trails of Bootleg Canyon - they're a hoot and between their challenges, the heat, the sun and (today) the wind it's a pretty tiring day.( I know, I know...your heart is bleeding for us...we know. And - we appreciate it! I looked into bringing all ya'll out here but the logistical challenges proved unsurmountable so you are there and we are here and that's gonna hafta do it.

Anyway - as I was sayin'............we rode full-sus mountainbikes exclusively today. I like every hardtail I ride so what's the point of that? I rode 2 Salsas, 2 Ellesworths, a Cannondale & a Rocky Mountain. Here's the scoop, in order of preference:

Salsa Big Mama - This 4" travel 29er was the best bike I rode all day. None of the stuff I dislike about full-sus bikes was present (mushy rear sus, dragging pedals on the dirt, that feeling of being way up in the air, general ponderousness) and despite the fact that it's a damn big bike when you stand next to it - once aboard it felt quicker, lower and zippier than I expected. I liked it a ton, and I could totally see having one of these babies for desert trips.

Ellesworth Evolve - 'nother 29er, this time w/ 5 inches of travel. Felt good - I've always loved Elleswrth's desigh - but not quite as quick as the Salsa. Not good when you factor in the fact that you can have the entire Salsa bike for the cost of the Ellesworth frame! Still - US made, Tony Ellesworth is a genius and the bike rocked.

Cannondale RZ 120- This was the best riding 26" bike I rode. Feels a lot like the Rush (a fav) and the Lefty fork is as good as it gets. Given that you can get RZ-120's for as little as $1800.......this bike is pretty dang impressive. (Like the name implies - this bike had about 5" of travel)

Ellesworth Truth- I rode this 'cuz the Evolve wasn't available. I've long felt that this is the best full-sus frame I've ever ridden but given what a better value the C-Dales are........I'm not so sure. It rides great, the US made frame and all the machined sus bits are schweet...but I'd hafta go w the Evolve, thank you. (The Truth is a 4" travel 26er)

Rocky Mountain Altitude 29- Nice bike. Not sure what the point of riding it was - 'cept I had a coupla good laps @ 12 Hours of Pando on a RM hardtail 29er - so what the heck, right? It was nice enough, for a 5" travel 29er, but the Big Mama pretty much ate it's lunch.

Salsa el Kaboing - Man, I did not like this bike at all! If I had ridden this one first and then you told me that the Big Mama was the same design in a 29er I wouldn't have even ridden it! This bike was like every other full sus bike I've never liked - slow, mushy, tall.....blah! And - my calves hit the frame and I hate that too!

More later - dinner time!

1 comment:

Ian said...

If you run across Prudent Enviro Products at Interbike, say hi to my buddy John. He makes lubes and so on, and the best chamois cream I've ever used.