Monday, October 13, 2008

Time to Catch Up! (Again!)

Man! I repeat...how do all those dedicated daily Blogger types do it!?!?!?!? I have a hard time believing that it's been 2 weeks since I sat down to update this damn thing.............it feels like we just got back from the show. Anyway, here's what's been goin' on:

We got back and for a while there the shop was becalmed in the off-season doldrums. Then someone turned on the Weather Way-Back Machine and summer staged a strong comeback. Temps in the 80's and heartbreakingly clear blue skies were the rule for most of early October and the buzz at the shop rose accordingly. Kinda fun. We've been doin' the 'Cross Clinics for 3 weeks now but the turn-out is low. Not sure if that's due to the location change (Ransom Park on the North Side), the 'un 'crosslike weather or the fact that I've been listed as one of the "instructors". (That seems most likely to me)

I'm dyin' to get my cyclo-cross season started but I'm resigned to waitin' 'til November. @ that point the JDRF Ride season will be done, my #1 bike will be back from Death Valley (one of my riders has had it since May) and I'll be able to focus. November looks full......3 'cross races, the Iceman, a gig...........too bad I have ZERO edge or fitness. Based on a one-time experiment I'm seriously considering using my Macatawa Bike Works fixxie for 'cross - I can just fit a pair of Maxxis 'cross tires on it and there's just something about the whole fixxie thing...............

Wanna read something extra-cool about this sport that we love? My good friend Heather is a real live writer of no small renown and she was inspired after a Tuesday Night Ride to toss a few lines together about just what it is that makes her so crazy 'bout cycling and she was kind enough to gimme a heads-up. Man.......reading it gave me goosebumps and almost made me tear up! Do yourself a solid and visit www.heathersellers.com/blog/ and enjoy!

So......we're off to Death Valley in 3 more days! The last JDRF Ride of 2008. The 5th of 5 for me this season but only the 2nd where I'll get to ride and the first where my only duty will be as coach of my team. (Kinda excited about that!) 43 members of the West Mich squad will join 260+ other riders for the biggest Ride to Cure O' the year! This group has a pretty decent % of Velo-Folk.......J2, Ross, JD, Ted, Lin and I, plus Did, Cindy, Katie & Steve, Tom & Mary and other mainstays of the Team lo these last 3-4 years. I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!

I'm fired up to get the Fun-Raiser Series rollin' this month too! Life's just better when there's a Big Ride comin'up every month. For October it's gonna be the (in)famous Pineapple Bob Classic w/ a Taco Chaser. I've decided to move the November Chilly Chili Ride from the date in the newsletter (11/22) to the day after the Iceman (11/9) You heard it here first! (Unless you were on the Friday Morning Bagel Ride last week - but you know who you are!)

I'm starting to ponder staffing for next season...........the more we talk about stuff on this end the more it seems likely that we'll be lookin' for a full-timer to help keep things here on a even keel while I work on Velo-Ventures trips, JDRF stuff and suchlike. Know anyone I oughta talk to?

Lots to do before I shove of for DV.........there are 5-6 pre-season orders that are due by 10/15, all the usual loose-end-tying that precedes a break and at some point I gotta pack.

Maybe I oughta get workin' on that, huh?

Later..MC

No comments: