Sunday, May 25, 2008

Paul Dunn You're my Hero!

So...........as T.O.M.* and I were goin' for the Island Lake sprint sign yesterday morning I hit a pothole square on w/ the front wheel of The Prowler. (My Co-Motion tandem) We took the sprint but I was not a bit surprised when we pulled away from the stop sign and the front tire was flatter than yesterday Pepsi.

Rats.............we were gonna make 'em hurt on the return leg too!

Anyway..........off the road, off the bike and diggin' in the seat pack for the stuff we need. "No big deal, you guys go ahead, don't wait for us." That kinda thing.

Flats happen, right?

That's when my casual aquantance P.D. did the thing that he did that got him in the title up there.

He stopped.

"You guys got what'cha need?" he asked.

Assured that we did...he was on his way.....got back to the group and no doubt rode in with them.

Pretty simple, huh?

"What's the big deal" you ask? Well...........here's the thing. Odds are P.D. is faster than you. He's damnsure faster 'n me. (No daunting challenge - that!) We're not good buds or anything - I know him 'cuz he and I are on the same rides often enough and we have lotsa mutual friends - I don' t even know if he's ever been in the shop for that matter.

Still....he saw we were off the bike and he interrupted his ride long enough to make sure we were good. Shows that he was brought up right. His momma should be proud.

Oh..........I wanna thank Dan and Mike for waitin' and ridin' in w/ us. 'Twas a nice gesture and we appreciated it.

I don't wanna make too big a dreal outta this but after all that pissing and moaning I did a month or so ago about riders that couldn't be bothered I figured that I needed to balance the scales.

It's been a good-but-crazy week.................Ted and Sarah had their baby yesterday!!!!!!!!! (Go to his blog for pix!) I got a lotta riding in.....and I'm damn tired of wearing knickers and wool base layers! I'm looking forward to goin' in shorts and such this afternoon on the Dessert Ride.

Gonna do the club's ride tomorrow - we always have the Monday Night Ride in the morning on holiday mondays.

I put about 100 miles on thiose fancy-pants Reynolds carbon wheels that the rep left here....they feel good. Greg and Ted are more impressed than I am but neither of them run wheels as nice as I'm used to! We'll have 3 sets here for about the next week or so if you wanna try them!

Gotta go, folks are gonna be here soon for the ride!

Congrats again Ted, Sarah, Sophie and little new baby w/out a name!

MC

* The Other Mike

2 comments:

ceningolmo said...

What I find amusing about this situation is the following:

You don't actually need people to make sure you're ok. You're the definitive veteran who's gonna make it work and get back on the raod.

I understand that it's the principal of the thing. And, the idea is to recognize those who put up effort that the rest of us who don't run a bicycle shop might need.

What YOU need...MC...is for someone to stop and say "got watcha need? Want some help?" everytime they see you sitting in front of a computer!

On to the topic of Fun Raisers...

MC and VCC put on another great ride...thanks for hostin' it!

Dessert was sweet...so was the ride. Somehow I ended up with that gang that went off the front. Not sure how that happened...but, they made me hurt something fierce. I had a blast anyway though.

Thanks MC!

MC said...

You are kee-rect...ALL I want/need is for someone to give a damn! The odds are pretty dang good that I/we are okay - my gripe is that you can't tell that @ 20mph!

Computers - bah humbug! They ain't never gonna catch on anyways!