Monday, May 19, 2008

'I Come From the Land of the Ice and Snow...."

Okay...........maybe it didn't actually snow, but doesn't it seem kinda cold for mid-May? We had a great JDRF training ride yesterday and the attire ranged from Kevin's sleeveless jersey-n-shorts to Dave w/ his ninja-issue balaclava and toe covers!

It wasn't very warm, that's all I'm sayin'.

Still...another great ride in the books, at the end of another great week. Gettin' back after a trip to the desert is always a mixed bag for this boy........a week's worth of shop stuff, catchin' up on sleep, gettin' back in the groove - it always makse the week fly by even faster'n usual. This week was no exception. The shop was busy.........the rides well attended.......we had a good gig @ the brew pub Friday night, lotsa friends came out and we kinda burned it down a little bit. Sat night was Brian and Heather's JDRF Yoga deal.......Lin and I rode the "Big Yellow Taxi" (our demo Co-Motion tandem) down after the shop closed and got all stretched and mellow. Then the ride yesterday and......................here it is Monday again!

This week it's the Ride of Silence on Wed, so I'll more'n likely skip Grattan again. This weekend there's a rumour of a Last Call reprise @ New Holland and the May Fun-Raiser @ the shop on Sunday! The "Dessert Ride" no less!

I can't wait to find out how all our racers did this weekend! Danielle slayed all down @ 12 Hours of Tsali, finishing 1st women and 4th overall. Not bad for a "training race!" Aaron raced the Owasippe ATB Time Trial and Greg went down to Memphis for a big triathlon. Big weekend!

I promised some Moab pix...............I'm still workin' on it. Maybe I can get Danielle, Ted or some random 11 year old offa the street to show me how to post some?

Speaking of Moab.............folks have ben asking me how that Cannondale Rize worked out there. The simple answer is that it worked great. It was perfect, actually. The thing is...........so was my Seven hardtail that I rode on the last 2 trips.
And the C-Dale Rush.
And the Scapel.
And that shitty Schwinn Moab rental bike that year that my fork pukked up its guts the first day.
And my Yeti.
And my Bontrager.
And both of the Trek OCLV hardtails.
And my old Stumpjumper w/ drop bars.
And both Trek "Y" bikes.
And that ARC-AS that I borrowed from the Yeti guys.
And even that Cannondale Raven!

Seein' a trend here? I've been thinking about this for a bit. (And wondering if this is something that I oughta be thinking about, let alone writing about!) The fact is that I've kind of made a habit of goin' out west to do the hardest riding of my season on a bike that I've either never ridden...or haven't ridden much. Would I be better off on my bike? Maybe.......that Seven fits me like an old pair of jeans (the kind that your wife keeps threatening to toss) and every time I clip in to the pedals it's like coming home.
But...............all those other bikes (and all the ones I forgot to mention) were fine. The thing is....every one of 'em went right where I aimed it, y'know? They all rode up every technical climb that I had the skill and power to clean and they all went downhill as fast as I had the balls to go. As much as my industry is kinda based on the notion that you can walk in here and purchase more fun or performance...........you still gotta ride 'em!

And I think that's way cool.

I was chewin' this over w/ my buds @ the guitar shop across the street and my buddy Ross-the-golf-guy and.....here's a surprise......we all have the same take! Stuff is just that..............stuff. You need good enough stuff...........a bike, or guitar (okay...or golf clubs, dammit!) that's good enough to fan the flames of your interest in the idea of riding, or pickin' or......(sigh) golfing. After that...it's icing on the cake time bay-bee!

Not that there aren't other perfectly valid reasons for buying new stuff. 'Cuz there are.

Still.....every race I enter I get my ass handed to me on a platter by some dude (or dud-ette!) on a bike that's "worth" lots less than whatever I'm riding. And that's how it need to be, I reckon.

So............it's a great day on the cusp of a great week. The forecast contains a warming trend, the rides are rocking and so's the shop. (And the band!) BikeLife is good these days!

Hope to see you around!
MC

Oh yeah...almost forgot! John Jasker ! John Jasker! John Jasker!

6 comments:

ceningolmo said...

You're right on brotha...all you need is equipment that is good enough to keep you excited. Sometimes that means upgrading on something that is pretty good. Sometimes that means upgrading from something that is pretty bad...it's all relative.

I love that you are begrudgingly accepting the legitimacy of golf. Little by little. It starts by getting you to admit that a golf course is better than wasteland. Then by admitting that there may be parallels between selling bikes and selling golf clubs.

Soon you'll planning golf vacations with me! I'm S L O W L Y wearing you down.

Doez said...

Give him his first round for free,lend him some clubs,See how much fun it is?Then all the sudden hes playing once a week,then he buys his own clubs,then twice a week,then he gets better clubs and a fancy driver,then golf weekends up north,suddenly O NO!!! Hes Hooked!!!Its just like crack,but even more insidious,HA HA HA HA!!

MC said...

Not a chance in Hell Boy-os! No golf vacations for this boy in the foreseeable future, not as long as I can ride!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Tedbentley said...

I see a golf outing in the furure for this old bald man! How many times did the word golf get in his blog?

Doez said...

He can deny all he wants,but soon he will be asking if a Titelist plays better than a Nike...

MC said...

I repeat - Not a chance in Hell. I was just curios how much "buzz" I would generate if I put a certain 4-letter word in my blog.

Guess I found out.

The old bald man.