Monday, January 21, 2008

Gear Report...just what you've been waitin' for, huh?

Yep....................what this sport and 'net and world needs most is yet another opinionated and self-impressed rider/writer that thinks his opinion about stuff matters, right?

RIGHT!

Okay..............WRONG!

Still, I'm sorta short on ideas @ the moment and there are a few things I've been using quite a bit that have left an impression. So...I'd be much obliged if you were to cut me a bit o' slack and let it go this time 'round.............I promise not to make a habit of it!

Kreitler Rollers: I've been doin' 100% of my indoor workouts on rollers so far this off-season - I started using them again in the middle of last winter and it's been fun (and challenging!) to do all the Spinervals workouts on 'em. The out-of-the-saddle stuff isn't too bad but the one-leg drills are pure hell! I switched from my old clapped-out Minouras to the Kreitlers about a month ago in some mis-guided attempt to make sure i wasn't givin' myself too much of a break w/ all my fellow indoor sufferers ridin' Fluid trainers. The Kreitlers are definitely smoother, in fact the alloy drums are so smooth that I felt a little squirrelly the first time I rode them. W/ the smaller diameter drums the resistance is noticeably higher as well - which allowed me to retain my grip on the moral highground when MM showed up for a workout w/ his rollers - and we all know how important THAT is! All in all I'd give 'em a rating of 'Pretty much perfect". They're kinda spendy, but you only hafta buy one set of rollers your entire life if you buy the right ones, y'know? (Wanna try 'em? Stop on by!)

Light & Motion Vega headlight: This little unit has become my go-to light for all road and Crazy Bastard dirt-road rides. I love the fact that it's self-contained...no cords flapping or batterypack swingin' under the toptube or stealing a H20 cage. It's way bright, light ennough and seems to have a 2.5-3 hour burn time, even on high. There are other cool lights here (and @ other shops I reckon) and I do wish it was easier to remove from the mount but still.............it gets a solid "Dang Near Just Right" rating.

Ergon Grips: These things are awesome /w a Capital "R"! Due to a thoughtless bit of pre-race packing I rode 95miles of the Lumberjack 100 w/ no gloves and I really don't think I could've done that w/ any other grips! My buddy CD swears that his chronic wrist pains are gone since he got some and basically...if you can get past the goofy look and you're not a 100% over-the-top weight-weenie...you'll like them too. These guys get the coveted "Hot-Damn-Tamale-Who-Loves-Ya-Baby-Cubs-Win Two Thumbs up" rating and you know it don't get no better!

Meijer Brand Organic Blue Corn Chips w/ Sesame Seeds: Our friend Scott hooked us up w/a coupla bags o' these bad boys @ the last Fun-Raiser and let's just say that they are the Ergon Grips of chips and call it good. Yum!

Continental Speed King Supersonic ATB Tires: After years and years of rockin' Ritchey Z-Max like we were married I'm having a love affair w/ these new treads. Light, grippy, fast....did I mention light? I'm runnin' the 2.4 on the front of my rigid S/S and the 2.1 in the rear and lovin' life. granted...I got like 5 rides on 'em before 'cross season and winter conspired to put the ATB in the rafters for a spell but these are cool tires! They do 'em in 29er too, as well as a non-Supersonic version which trades some added grams for added lifespan. It's kinda fun to be worked up about mountainbike tires again! It's been too long!

Steve Earle's "Washington Street Serenade" CD: My favorite singer/songwriter/hillbilly/activist/hellraiser done moved to the big city and got all happy! I could listen to this disc for about a month straight and keep finding new favorite tunes.

Anyway.............stuff is just that..................stuff. Sometimes you need some of it to make the things you wanna do easier or more fun but you wanna make sure that the stuff isn't obscurring the doing, y'know? Still............if you gotta put up w/ stuff it may as well be good stuff, no?

Too much stuff, too much stuff, whatterya gonna do w/ all that stuff?" (Delbert McClinton)

"How come your shit is stuff and my stuff is shit?" (George Carlin)

No comments: