Saturday, June 24, 2006

"Oh I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay....."

Thoughts from the 2nd ever Lumberjack 100...................................

First Lap: "Turn the gear, turn the gear, turn the gear!" " Man, this trail rocks!" " Hey, that looks like Mossimo! Mebbe I can catch him! Mebbe I can stay w/ him 'til the end of the lap!" " Man, it's hot, but it's gonna be okay, I think." " Drink, hydrate, drink!"

Second lap: "Okay, I got Doez beat, Moss has dropped out..........so I'm #1 HUP rider. It feels like I'm gonna finish for sure, just gotta stay hydrated and keep those cramps away." ' Turn the gear, turn the gear, turn the gear" " Damn, these climbs weren't half this steep or long last lap!" "I still think the S/S is faster but not havin' any suspension is tearin' me up!" " Man......I'm gettin' goosbumps on the downhills!?! Hmmm.........I like a godd descent as much as the next guy but they usually don't make my nipples this hard. Weird..........isn't this one of the signs of heatstroke or heat exaustion or heat stress or heat death or something?" " Keep drinkin!"

Third lap: " Uhh...............not good, getting r-e-a-l-l-y sleepy. Mebbe I oughta grab a nap by the trail for a sec. Wait! If you go to sleep you'll freeze to death! Just like a Jack London story! Stay awake!" " Screw turnin' the gear, just keep going" " Man, this sux. I havne' tseen anyone for an hour or so, I wonder if they'll find my body frozen by the trail if I don't make it?"

Short story is that I had two great laps and then the wheels fell off. Despite a more-than-usual-for-me focus on hydration and nutrition I fell prey to the heat and finished my 3rd lap delirious and shivering. Thanks to Krisanne and Mel and Chris and my homies for convincing me that 3 laps was gonna hafta be enough that day. ( It wasn't a huge struggle!) The race rocks! Rick and his crew put on a first class event and you oughta do it next year. I can't wait 'til next year! ( I'll probably do a sus fork on the S/S though!)

No comments: