Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Two Rookies

So...there were at least 2 brand-spankin'-new riders in our race @ Grattan tonight. (It was fun, it rained, I felt fine. That's another story, not as good as this one) It was very interesting watching the 2 of them deal w/ their first Grattan experience.........and it got me to thinking.

One guy - let's call him the "Guy in Pink" (Not the actual color of his jersey) was a COMPLETE menace! I watched him terrify everyone in the pack as he wobbled and lurched all over the track. Now......my intention IS NOT to 'dis the Guy in Pink - it musta been kinda freaky for him, out there w/ 50 other racers blasting around tight haripin turns @ 25-28 mph, haulin' ass down the back stretch @ 30+, etc. Grattan may be billed as a "Training Race Series" but it ain't exactly easy. He was strong too, our Guy in Pink, strong enough to be towards the front of the group which gave him many chances to scare the bejesus outta everyone several times.

The other guy couldn't have been more different. Let's call him....oh, I don't know......"Ross". (Not his actual name). Ross looked like he'd done this a million times. I was proud of him....he was smooth, held his line in the corners, looked and rode like a seasoned vet. Even when that dude sorta leaned into him in that S-curve and he was caught 'tween 2 riders he just dealt w/ it. Most guys - even non-rookies - woulda gibbered and screamed and then would've had to pull off the track to scrap out their shorts. Assuming that they lived.

Not our man "Ross". (Not his real name)

Here's my point. ( You were hoping I had one, and would get to it, yes?) Good ol' Ross-not-his-name is one of "our" guys. Shucks, odds are that if you read this crap you've ridden w/ him, maybe even lots. He has "grown up" as a cyclist wrapped in the arms of the cycling community that is centered here in Holland and.......if I may be so bold......here at the shop. He's been brought up right. He's learned how to be a rider, a safe one, a good one, hell...even a kind of fast one, and he's learned that by riding w/ all of us. Whatever you wanna call this extended Velo City / MCC / JDRF / HUP United / Crazy Bastard family of riders that semi-calls Velo City home is who "Ross" (Not his real name) learned from. We did good, we taught him well and he did us proud.

It makes me feel good and I sure wish that Guy in Pink (not his actual jersey color) had ben lucky enough to meet folks like "Ross" did. I'd feel a lot better having to share the track w/ him then!

Ride (and rock) on!
MC

1 comment:

nairb.ybsorc said...

I was reading through here the other day, looking for some insight into Grattan, and when I came across this post I felt the need to add my two cents.

Coming from the mentored side, I want to echo MC's thoughts on "growing up" in the Holland/VCC cycling community. My first group ride was the St. Patties ride last year and all the TNR's last spring are what lit my passion for cycling. The whole group has been amazing as a mentor, showing me how much fun cycling can be, how to be safe, and generally how to do it all the right way. I can't imagine better people to learn from and ride with.

Specifically, racing at Grattan the past month has been great because I've been taught how to be confident, hold my line, make friends, and have fun. Oh, and the Sprint ride is a huge part of why I've been lucky enough to win the past 2 weeks.

So thanks to the whole community, but MC specifically, for fostering what will be a lifelong love of cycling. Hopefully I'll see some of you out at Grattan in June so I can give you a leadout (although I'll probably get bumped to the A's soon.)